The Panhandle Prevention Coalition (PPC) is a part of the Panhandle Partnership. We are a regional coalition united together by passion and dedication to make residents of western Nebraska healthy and safe across their lifespan.
PPC Vision: Healthy, Safe People Across the Lifespan
PPC Mission: Enhance and Sustain a Collaborative Prevention System
Reduce the impact of:
- Substance use and abuse including underage drinking, binge drinking and drinking and driving
- Tobacco use
- Drug use
- Prescription drug abuse
The PPC mobilizes grassroots policy change, enforcement and education with many tools and through many venues including mass media. The PPC raises awareness of current social norms and trends while seeking to change social context and individual behaviors.
Our most recent achievements include:
- Responsible Beverage Server Training | TIPS Trainings: Provide individuals entrusted with the responsibility of serving or selling alcohol and tobacco with strategies to avoid illegally selling to underage youth or intoxicated patrons.
- SHARP Survey participation in schools.
- Comprehensive Tobacco Free Policies passed
- Faith sending more achievements
Our 2017-2018 goals:
- Foster relationships and reach out to potential coalition members to increase diversity and reach of the Panhandle Prevention Coalition.
- Support policy development and implementation for a healthier Panhandle.
- Raise awareness of current social norms and trends while seeking to change social context and individual behaviors.
- Increase participation in the Responsible Beverage Server Trainings (RBST) by using a web based system to enhance regional participation.
- Partner with the Nebraska State Patrol to maintain targeted enforcement and adjudication of laws, community celebrations enforcement, drug/alcohol education.
Here’s what you can do:
• Talk early and often to your kids about not using tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs. Create clear expectations.
• Always enforce the minimum drinking age of 21.
• Call law enforcement if you suspect underage parties or drinking and driving at any age at1-888-MUST-BE-21.
• Thank law enforcement for providing compliance checks and responsible alcohol and tobacco training.
• Involve youth in planning and implementing healthy activities.
Together, we are united for Change.